The Leatt story began in 2001 when Dr. Christopher Leatt witnessed the death of a fellow motorcycle rider the weekend after his son, Matthew, began riding.
Dr Leatt began research and development of a device almost immediately, driven by a passion to protect not only his son, but all riders from the effects of catastrophic neck injuries. His first patents were filed in 2003.
The revolutionary Leatt-Brace® was developed in Cape Town, South Africa and tested by BMW engineers at their facility in Munich, Germany, with first production units sold in late 2006.
OUR PRODUCT AWARDS AND HISTORY
- Motocross Action: 5/5 star product rating (2007).
- TW MX: Product of year (2009).
- RacerX: Product of the decade (2009).
- Motocross Action: Reader voted decade’s most significant product (2009).
- Dirt Bike Magazine: Product of the year (2010).
- Freeride Magazine: Eurobike innovations award (2010).
- ISPO Brandnew AwardS: Best protection at bike expo (2010).
- TW MX: GPX Pro – Product of the year (2011).
- RacerX: Neck protection readers choice award (2012).
- Leatt introduces the Fusion 2.0 Junior (now the 2.5), the company’s first product designed specifically for children that includes upper-body and neck protection, and the 5.5 Neck brace (and now the GPX 6.5 Carbon), a new generation of the classic Leatt neck brace (2013).
- Cyril Despres wins his 5th Dakar race wearing the GPX neck brace, along with Leatt body protection and a Leatt hydration system (2013).
- MRX automotive head and neck restraint system is introduced at the Performance Racing Industry trade show (2013).
- Racer X magazine rates Leatt neck braces as the Reader’s Choice for neck protection for the 5th year in a row (2013).
- Press launch of the Leatt C-Frame knee brace (2013).
- The company introduces its new knee brace designed for off-road motorcycling at the ISPO in Munich, one of the largest trade shows for outdoor, ski and performance sports gear in the world (2014).
- PPS Moto Protective Gear Company of the Year Award (2014).
- Racer X: Reader’s choice for brand of neck brace owned (2014).
- World of Mountainbike magazine in Germany awards Leatt their “Best of 2016” Award (2016).
- Eurobike Design & Innovation Awards (The Leatt DBX 5.0 Helmet and DBX Enduro Lite WP 2.0 hydration pack) (2016).
- Racer X 2016 Reader’s Choice votes Leatt #1 neck protection (2016).
- Leatt is #1 neck brace to buy in VitalMX Audience Review second year in a row (2016).
- 3.5 Neck Brace wins Eurobike and Interbike awards (2017).